Foundation Degree in Optical Coherence Tomography
Optical Coherence Tomography Foundation
This qualification aims, through directed learning and structured assessments:
- To provide training in the capture of relevant, appropriate and good quality OCT scans. To provide clinical information in the management of patients with anterior and/or posterior segment disease of the eye.
- To ensure that students safely and competently undertake OCT scanning
- To enable students to understand the processes and equipment commonly used in OCT scanning.
- To provide a detailed knowledge of the features of clinical disease and common abnormalities detected in OCT scans
- Operate in situations of varying complexity and predictability requiring the application of a wide range of techniques and information to interpret OCT scans
- To provide training in the interpretation of OCT scans and OCT angiography; to interpret relevant clinical information in the management of patients with anterior and/or posterior segment disease of the eye.
This qualification is suitable for individuals who are employed in health institutions within the UK who capture and interpret OCT scans. Individual awards within this qualification are provided for those who perform only a capture role or interpretation role.
|Foundation Degree in Optical Coherence Tomography||5||240||There are 15 modules and students must complete 11 modules to achieve the award||2 years|
|Year 1: Certificate of Higher Education in Optical Coherence Tomography Capture||4||120||5 compulsory modules||40 weeks|
|Year 2: University Diploma in Optical Coherence Tomography Interpretation||5||120||5 compulsory modules AND 1 optional module||48 weeks|
Take a look at the course map for a breakdown of modules that you’ll study to complete the course.
All students must meet the following criteria:
- The MINIMUM entry requirement is evidence of a pass at least grade C in Maths and English at GCSE, or its equivalent. If you have evidence of higher qualifications, these should be provided.
- Be employed in a clinical context and currently performing OCT capture
- Have at least 6 months of experience in OCT capture in a clinical setting
- Have access to OCT scanning equipment and provide documentary evidence of calibration and service documents for the OCT equipment
- For students whose first language is not English, have documentary evidence of sufficient competence in English e.g. IELTS 6.0 overall in both reading and writing
You will study your chosen award as a distance learning course whilst in full or part time employment as a healthcare professional. You will be working within a health institution or for a private provider undertaking optical coherence tomography screening and interpretation. The course is distance learning, this will require students to access and work through study materials online, and then continue the application of learning in clinical practice.
All modules are 8 weeks in duration and in:
Year 1 - assessment includes online exams, a practical observation by a clinical assessor appointed by Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust of students capturing OCT scans and submission of a Portfolio of OCT scans taken by the student
Year 2 - students should be undertaking OCT interpretation within their normal job role or be able to gain experience in interpreting OCT's within their workplace. Assessments will include online exams, one presentation and submission of a portfolio/logbook of OCT scans interpreted, verified by a clinical assessor
The course fees are £3000.
The course fees are paid annually in advance:
Year 1 - £1500
Year 2 - £1500